(Adapted from recipe posted on Whatkatieate.com)
1 ¾ cup self-rising flour (175g) (Don’t have this ingredient at hand? No biggie. See note below)
¾ cup Dutch process cocoa powder (75g)
1 ¼ cup superfine sugar (250g)
1 ¼ cup cooked beetroot (250g)
3 large eggs (or 4 medium)
½ cup canola oil (200 ml)
1 tsp vanilla extract
LET’S GET IT
1. Preheat oven to 350F
2. Grease and line a 8 -inch springform pan (or 4 individual ones)
3. Sift flour, and cocoa in a bowl and add in the sugar, mix to combine.
4. Place the cooked beetroot in the bowl of a food processor (or in my case, in the vase of my powerful blender) and lightly blend away.
5. Then introduce eggs (one at a time), the oil and vanilla extract, blending until smooth.
6. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients, add the wet mixture from blender and mix well.
7. Pour into cake pan (or pans) and bake for about 50-60 min for regular sized pan (40-45 min for individual ones) or until a skewer comes out clean.
8. Let cool for about 10 min and then transfer to cooling wrack.
Then transfer to plate.
Then grab a spoon and transfer to mouth… and so on.
(Then go out for a run to burn the calories off).
To make self-rising flour, follow this formula: For each cup of all-purpose flour, add 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. And presto!
I highly suggest using the original weight measurements (way more accurate), but just as an alternative I’m giving you the US version.